Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Player Profile: Freddie CruelGirl


Derby Name / Number: Freddie CruelGirl / Comn4U
Team
Black Plague (former) Royal Pains MADE National's Women's Team (2016 Co-Captain)
How many years have you been playing roller derby?
I've been with FCRD for 4 years.
How and when did you get involved in roller derby?
I got involved through a friend who had joined.  I came to watch her play a game and knew I had to try it out for myself.

What have you learned from roller derby? I've learned that there is nothing I can't do; only things I can't do yet!
Favorite part of roller derby?
My favorite part of derby is learning something new or mastering a skill that I thought I would never be able to do.

How can and have you helped other people through Derby?
When I first started, I had the misfortune of getting injured. I always try to reach out to those who have an injury and give them support and encouragement to stick with derby.

How far have you come in roller derby?
I started off as timid and accident prone person and have developed into a confident and strong skater!
Pre-Derby Sports/Skating Background
I skated on Fridays in middle school.  Does that count? I have never really been a sporty kind of girl, but it turns out I just hadn’t found the right sport for me before now. When I started derby I hadn’t been on skates for about 18-20 years.
What positions do you enjoy playing?
I will play any position, but I really love to play pivot and bump. Pivot, because I like the chance to run down the other team's jammer without that initial fight through the pack. And bump, because I love getting in the way of the other team's jammer and making them really work.

Do you do any cross training for roller derby?  If so, what do you do?
I’ve recently started working out my core a lot with techniques I learned during physical therapy sessions. I have definitely noticed a difference in my performance.
How did you come up with your derby name?
I’ve always loved scary movies! Nightmare on Elm Street 3 was the first scary movie I saw in the theaters, so Freddy Krueger has always been one of my favorite characters. Add in the fact that my last name is Fredrickson and you get a perfect combination!
What do you do outside of derby?
I work full time as a death investigator, but I am also a mother of two school age children. Both play soccer and take private music lessons; piano and violin. I am also learning the violin. I love to crochet, read, cook, and be with my family when I'm away from derby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Pick Your Person: A Guide to Choosing Your Derby Name

By Parks And Wreck You’ve finally decided to strap on those skates and get out on the track, bumpin’ hips with the best of them, the wi...